To celebrate National Farmers Market Week and the bountiful summer harvest, we’re sharing our canning and food preservation resources! Follow us on Instagram @millcityfarmersmarket August 2 – 8 for TWO giveaways of market produce and canning supplies and check out our recipes and resources below.
With lots of us spending more hours in the kitchen and summer vegetables like cucumbers and tomatoes coming into peak, what a better time to preserve the harvest? Now more than ever it is crucial to support the small farmers who grow our food and depend on markets for income during this uncertain economic time.
- Quick Pickled Vegetables from Market Chef Jenny Breen. Great for cucumbers, radishes or a mix of seasonal vegetables
- Nistler Farms’ Frozen Roasted Tomatoes
- Hot & Tangy Strawberry Jam from Beth Dooley
- Ball’s online recipes (the Blue Book is available online!)
How-To’s & Resources
- Canning Tomatoes video tutorial
- Food Preservation Guide from U of M Extension (canning, pickling, freezing and drying)
- Coming Soon: Canning Equipment Library from Serious Jam
Feeling inspired? Our farmers will be offering various quantities of cucumbers, tomatoes and more vegetables for preserving at the remaining August and early fall markets. You can request an order in-person for a future market, over the phone & email, preorder online or find what you need through traditional walk-up sales.