Each fall we honor the Market’s namesake and historic locale with our annual Bread Festival! Join us for baking demonstrations from renowned local bakers, enter your own bread in our baking showcase and shop from over 60+ local farmers and food makers including bakeries, farm-to-table sourdough pizza and heritage flours!
Bread Baking Showcase
Enter your loaf in our annual Bread Baking Showcase to share the story of bread in your life! Whether you just started baking with sourdough, have a favorite zucchini bread recipe, are an expert rye baker or have your grandmother’s recipe from the old country—we want you in our showcase.
Sourdough, yeasted and quick breads are all welcome. To enter, simply fill out our Showcase Entry Form (before the market or on-site) and drop off your loaf between 8 and 9:30 a.m. in the train shed kitchen demo patio area. From 9:30 to 10:30 bakers will sample and share stories of their breads for the public.
Professional Baking Demonstrations
Learn about flour, baking techniques and interesting recipes from professional millers, bakers and chefs. From 10:30 to 12:30 in the train shed kitchen demo patio area, local experts will show you the tricks for making professional quality bread at home.
2019 Bread Festival Line-Up
All events are free and take place in the train shed kitchen demo area unless otherwise noted.
- 8:00- 9:30, Home bakers drop off breads
- 9:30 – 10:30, Bread Baking Showcase
- 10:30 – 12:30, Professional baking demonstrations
- 10:30 – 1:00, Learn about grains at Mill City Museum’s flour cart (booth #142)
- 10:00 – 5:00, Explore Minneapolis’ flour-ful history at the Mill City Museum. Check out the Baking Lab, Flour Tour grain elevator ride, mill tours and more (tickets are $12 for adults, but showcase bakers receive a free admission voucher!)
In the news:
- ‘Annual bread festival makes everyone a breadwinner’ – MN Daily, September 2019
- ‘The great Minneapolis baking show’ – The Journal, September 2018
- ‘From chef’s hubris rises new artisan bakery’ – Mill City Times, September 2016
Mill City Farmers Market’s Bread Festival would not be possible without the support of the Market’s vendor and co-organizer Sunrise Flour Mill.