It’s National Farmers Market Week! Along with the USDA, the Farmers Market Coalition, we’re celebrating the importance of farmers markets in the food system. Here’s why #FarmersMarketsAreEssential:
- Farmers markets like ours provide healthy food for our community and a reliable marketplace for small farmers and makers, supporting the local economy.
- Market operators are adaptable and innovative to serve communities in unique ways that keep everyone safe. Did you know MCFM was one of the first businesses in MInneapolis to offer online pre-orders and other COVID-19 safety measures? Additionally, farmers markets and small farmers are resilient and adaptive to changes that hit our food system.
- Farmers markets make healthy eating accessible through programs like MCFM’s dollar-per-dollar matching for SNAP recipients and Greens for Good food donation program
- Unlike big groceries, products from your farmers market go through just a few hands—the farmers and yours—before reaching your plate.
- Farmers Markets are a great place to shop for fresh food for your family. Produce is picked within days of the market. Using proper storage techniques, you can stock up the bounty of the season and reduce your shopping trips.
Be sure you’re following us on Instagram for giveaways and more coming all week. Stay tuned, and happy #FarmersMarketWeek!