by Chef Nick Schneider
For fish, cooked vegetables, roasted potatoes or buckwheat noodles
Makes 2/3 cup; Serves 6
1.5 # (3-4) medium beets, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
2 T balsamic vinegar
3 T walnut oil, or extra virgin oil
Fresh lemon or lime juice to taste
Kosher salt to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Put the beet pieces through the juicer.
- Reduce the beet juice at a medium to slow simmer on a stove until reduced by half.
- Add the salt to the balsamic vinegar along with desired amount of citrus juice.
- Add the beet juice to the vinegar mixture and boil for a few seconds, then add the oil and bring to a boil again for half a minute. This helps provide a temporary emulsion.
- Can be served warm or cool. Store it in the frige as the oils will keep better.
- Whisk before serving.