By: The Wedge Community Co-op, Nick Nelson
- 1 cup millet
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 cup stock (chicken, vegetable, or any other kind you have on-hand)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup avocado, diced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans
- 2 oz. feta cheese or queso fresco
- 2 1/2 cups olive oil
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Toast millet in a dry pan, tossing occasionally, until aromatic (about 5-7 minutes). Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Saute the red onion and garlic until browned. Add the toasted millet, stock, 1 cup water, and salt to pan with garlic and onion. Stir, cover, and reduce heat to simmer. Allow to simmer until liquids are absorbed (about 20 minutes).
While the millet cooks, mix all of the dressing ingredients together to make dressing.
When millet is done cooking, add dressing, bell pepper, avocado, and black beans to the pan. Mix until well combined. Top with either feta or queso fresco and serve warm or chilled.
Click here for more simple salad recipes!