By: Heather Meyer
For the Sauce
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup fish sauce (I like 3 Crabs brand)
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup water
- 2 limes, juiced
Heat sugar, fish sauce, chili-garlic paste, garlic, and water in a small saucepan on medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove dressing from heat, add the lime juice, and cool.
- 1 head green cabbage, cut into 6-8 wedges
- ½ head red cabbage, cut into half
- 1 bunch green onions, trimmed, but left whole
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 3 carrots, grated
- 1 cup torn herbs (I like Thai basil and mint. You can also use sweet basil, or parsley)
- Salt and black pepper for taste
- Crushed peanuts (optional)
Heat a charcoal or gas grill to medium high heat. You can also use a cast iron grill pan on the stove, or a cast iron skillet.
Brush canola or sunflower oil on the cabbage, and the green onions, and season with salt and
pepper. Grill, turning as needed until charred all over. Keep heat high. This may take about 15
Let cool slightly, core the cabbage, and thinly slice. Chop up the grilled onions. In a large bowl, add the cabbage, onions, jalapeno, grated carrots, and herbs. Mix to combine. Add the dressing, taste for salt, and serve. Top with crushed peanuts, if using.
The vegetable mixture and the dressing can be made a day ahead. Toss right before serving.