Summer Kebabs with a Sweet Basil Marinade
By Jenny Breen
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups fresh basil leaves, minced
- 1 ½ Tablespoons honey
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar or other fruity vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup mayonnaise (optional, if not using, add another ¼ cup olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the kebabs
- Protein(s) of choice (about 4 – 6 ounces per serving), ex. tempeh, chicken or beef from Sunshine Harvest Farm, etc.
- Assorted seasonal vegetables (around 2 cups per serving), ex. cherry tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, onions, eggplant, etc.
- Metal or bamboo skewers
- Optional: 1 – 2 cups salad greens per serving and/or ½ – 1 cup cooked rice or other grain per serving
Combine marinade ingredients and set aside. Cut vegetables and protein into 1 ½ inch cubes. Add preotein and vegetables to container with marinade and coat as well as possible. Marinate for at least an hour, and as long as overnight (in refrigerator).
When you’re ready to eat, place items on metal skewers or bamboo skewers that have been soaked in water. Grill on medium-high until charred, meat is cooked and vegetables are tender, approximately 5-8 minutes. Serve over mixed greens and/or cooked grains, using extra mariande (which was not in contact with raw meat) as a dressing.