Recipe and photo from Veg Recipes of India.
- 1 large bunch of spinach, washed
- 1 cup other greens (fenugreek leaves, kale, radish tops/greens, turnip tops/greens, Swiss chard with stems removed, etc.)
- 2 to 3 inches radish root, washed and chopped roughly
- 2 tbsp oil, ghee, or butter
- About 1 1/2 cups paneer or other fresh cheese, cubed
- 2 dry red chilies, kept whole or broken
- 1 medium sized onion, roughly chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- ½ inch ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon
- 1 small bay leaf
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder (optional)
- 1 medium size tomato, rinsed and chopped
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 or 1 1/2 tbsp maize flour (optional)
- 1 tsp dry fenugreek leaves, crushed (optional)
- Salt to taste
Saute the spinach, greens, and chopped radish in oil for 5-10 minutes. Blend in a food processor or blender into a semi coarse paste. Set aside.
Pan fry the paneer cubes till light golden. Set aside.
Grind onion, ginger, garlic and chili to a fine paste in a food processor or blender. Set aside.
Heat oil and fry the cinnamon, red chilies and bay leaf till the oil becomes fragrant, about one minute. Add the onion paste and cook until brown, continuously stirring. Add tomatoes, turmeric and red chili powder and saute until the tomatoes become soft. Add the spinach paste. Stir in the flour and salt so that no lumps are formed. Add ½ cup water and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
Lastly, add the fried paneer cubes and dried fenugreek leaves. Simmer for one minute.
Serve hot with rice or naan bread.