By: Beth Jones
Serve alone or as a side dish with cooked steak or tofu to make it your weekly market meal. Share your photos of this dish with #WeeklyMarketMeal and #MillCityCooks. Serves 4.
- 1 package (9 ounces) Minnesoba Wild Rice Noodles or GF Buckwheat Soba Noodles from Dumpling and Strand
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 Tablespoons minced green garlic or garlic scapes
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, washed and strings removed
- 4 ounces shitake mushrooms from Cherry Treehouse Mushrooms, stems trimmed and cut into strips
- 3 scallions, cut on the bias
- 1 bunch radishes, bulbs thinly sliced and greens chopped
- 2 cups chopped pac choi, spinach or other greens, optional
- ¼ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup mint, roughly chopped
- 8 ounces grilled steak of tofu, optional
- 3 Tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup from Horner’s Corner
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, like Shahiya Chitney or sriracha
- 3 Tablespoons rice vinegar
Combine all dressing ingredients in a mason jar, seal and shake until well-combined. Set aside.
Bring a large pot of water with a pinch of salt to a boil. Boil the soba for 2 minutes, or until just al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
Heat the sesame oil in a large sauté pan, and add the ginger, green garlic, shitakes and sugar snaps. Stir-fry for 2 minutes or until the snap peas are bright green. Add scallions, radishes and greens and stir fry for 1-2 more minutes, until greens are wilted. Add the the soba noodles and herbs to the vegetables. Toss the salad with the dressing and taste. Season with a pinch of salt and more hot sauce if needed. Serve with grilled steak or tofu cold or at room temperature.