Red, White and Blue “Smashed” Potato Salad
By Heather Meyer
- 3 pounds mixed potatoes. Look for uniform size, and equal amounts of baby reds, yellow (Yukon, butterball, etc.), and purple. Leave whole!
- 1 small bunch red radishes, cut into thin half moons
- Fresh dill, mint, and or chives (or chive blossoms if you can get them!), roughly chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup whole grain mustard
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with one inch of water. Bring to a low boil and
cook for about 15 minutes, or until the tip of a knife easily pierces through a potato. Drain the potatoes and let them cool until they’re almost room temperature.
While potatoes are cooling, in a bowl whisk together the olive oil, mayo, mustard, vinegar, and
salt and pepper.
Cut the potatoes in quarters, and smash them on your cutting board with a small sauté pan to
break them up. Add to a large bowl, toss gently with the dressing. Toss in the herbs and
This will last a couple days in fridge. You can substitute yogurt for the mayo, or omit all together and use more oil and mustard.