Market Chef Beth Jones shows us her recipe for a spring salad from her home kitchen. Beth’s serve-yourself salad platter is perfect for a fridge full of leftovers or a new bag of market vegetables!
Rabbit Patch Salad
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Pinch of salt
- 2 grinds black pepper
For the Salad
- 2 small to medium heads butter lettuce, stem intact, but washed well
- 1 bunch asparagus, greens beans or snap peas ends trimmed and blanched for 1 minute in boiling water
- 1 medium red beet, roasted, peeled and cut into thin rounds
- 1 medium yellow beet, roasted, peeled and cut into thin rounds
- 12 red globe radishes, washed and quartered, greens saved and washed
- 6 hard boiled eggs cut in half
- 2 Tablespoons minced chives
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
Make the vinaigrette by combinign the ingredients in a medium canning jar, close the lid and shake until well combined.
Next, carefully remove the core from the lettuce heads, making sure not to separate the leaves. You want the heads to look like they are still intact. Place the heads next to each other on a medium sized platter, and begin tucking the beet slices, radishes, asparagus and eggs in between the lettuce leaves. Just before serving, drizzle a few tablespoons of the lemon vinaigrette over the salad. Garnish with minced chives and parsley.