Pickled Japanese Turnips
By Nick Schneider
- 2 lb. Hakurei Turnips, cleaned and greens trimmed
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups rice vinegar (or a combination of white or apple cider vinegar and rice vinegar)
- 1 ½ Tablespoons pickling salt
- 6 Tablespoons sugar or ¾ cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 3-inch piece of ginger peeled and sliced thin
Heat a pot of boiling water enough to blanch the turnips. Combine the water, sugar or mirin, vinegar and salt and bring to a boil. Blanch the turnips for 30 seconds in the boiling water and remove.
Have hot jars ready. Add a few slices of ginger to them. Pack with the turnips and then add the pickling solution. Can the jars in a hot water bath or keep in the refrigerator for up to a month.