By: MCFM Vendors
Recipe by Jeremy McAdams, owner of Cherry Tree House Mushrooms
- 1 ball pizza dough (make your own!)
- 4 to 8 oz. fresh shiitake or oyster mushrooms, chopped, from Cherry Tree House Mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil, separated
- 1/2 pound garlic scapes
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 large green or greek olives
- 6 to 8 oz. mozzarella cheese from Prairie Hollow Farm
- 4 oz. chevre cheese from Singing Hills
- 1 to 3 oz. friesago cheese from Shepherd’s Way Farm
- 1 Tablespoon coarse cornmeal
Preheat oven to 500 degrees F, preferably with pizza stone on middle shelf.
Trim stems from mushrooms and save for soup stock. Chop mushroom caps. Heat 1 to 2 Tbsp of olive oil on medium low heat, and saute mushroom caps until soft and slightly browned, about 5 minutes. If mushroom look dry add more oil to pan. Set aside.
Wash garlic scapes and trim off tips. Cut into 1 inch segments (or leaves long and curly for a rustic look), and mix with 2 Tbsp olive oil, balsamic vinegar and tsp salt. Transfer to shallow pan in the oven until lightly browned and soft but still “al dente”, about 5 to 8 minutes. Set aside. Slice olives thinly and set aside. Grate mozzarella and friesago cheese. Roll out pizza crust using rolling pin or stretching by hand. Use flour as needed to keep dough from sticking to surface or rolling pin. If you will be baking pizza in a baking pan, grease pan with 1 to 2 tsp of oil and then sprinkle with cornmeal.
If using pizza stone, remove hot stone from oven and sprinkle with cornmeal. Place pizza dough on pan or pizza stone and top with mushrooms, garlic scapes with their cooking oil, olives, as well as chevre, friesago and mozzarella cheeses, and place in oven for 10 to 15 minutes until bubbling and slightly browned. Remove from oven then slice and serve immediately.