By: Jenny Breen
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sunflower or other neutral oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, diced small
- 8 ounces mushrooms from Cherry Tree House Mushrooms, chopped small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece ginger, peeled minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 3 to 5 Tablespoons hoisin sauce (gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 8-ounce can water chestnuts, drained and chopped small
- 1 pound chopped chicken thighs/breasts from Sunshine Harvest Farm or 1 pound crumbled tofu, cooked and set aside
- 2 Tablespoons tamari or other soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 package soba noodles from Dumpling & Strand or 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 small or 1 large heads lettuce
- 1-2 medium carrots, grated
- About 6 green onions, sliced thinly
- Red pepper flakes, to serve
Heat sesame oil and 1 teaspoon neutral oil in skillet. Add onions and sauté 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic and ginger and sauté another 2-3 minutes.
Add hoisin sauce, water chestnuts, cooked meat or tofu, tamari and rice vinegar and combine to heat through. Mix with cooked noodles or rice.
Open each lettuce leaf, place 2 spoonfuls of filling inside. Garnish with grated carrots, green onions and red pepper flakes.