By: MCFM Vendors
By Jeremy McAdams of Cherry Tree House Mushrooms, adapted from Jamie’s Oliver’s Jamie at Home. Serves 4 as appetizer.
- 10-12 ounces fresh or thawed frozen shiitake and/or oyster mushrooms from Cherry Tree House Mushrooms
- 1 – 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves–1 peeled and finely chopped, the other halved
- Leaves from 2 sprigs of fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Leaves from 2 sprigs of fresh parsley, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Leaves from 1 sprig of summer savory, or 1/4 teaspoon dried (optional)
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 small pat butter
- 1 lemon
- 2 oz. herbed or plain chevre from Singing Hills Dairy
- 4 small slices bread from Heritage Breads or Salty Tart
Trim stems from mushrooms and save for soup stock. Chop mushroom caps. Put a large heavy frying pan, big enough to hold all the mushrooms in one layer, over heat and add olive oil. When hot, add all mushrooms to the pan and give it a shake to toss the mushrooms in the oil.
Add the chopped garlic and herbs, and stir again. Add a pinch of salt, black pepper and red pepper to the pan and sauté gently for a few minutes. If the mixture becomes dry, pour in a little more oil. Once the mushrooms have started to turn a golden color, after about 3-4 minutes, add the butter and a nice squeeze of lemon juice (not too much) and toss again. To finish this off and make it into a creamy sauce, spoon 2-3 tablespoons of water into the pan. Simmer for a little longer, until you have a nice simple sauce that just loosely coats the mushrooms.
Toast the bread and rub toast with the cut side of the remaining clove of garlic. Place each slice on a serving plate, top with a dab of chevre and pile the mushrooms and pan juices on top.