Recipe from our 2014 Mill City Cooks kids cooking contest winner Vanessa Reyes-Romero.
Fresh Mexican Flag Salad
By Vanessa Reyes-Romero
- 1 large or 2 small heads green lettuce, washed
- 2-3 leaves of red/brown lettuce, washed
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
- 100 grams garlic pepper goat cheese from Singing Hills Goat Dairy, crumbled
- 1 medium beet
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 cup red currants or other fruit
- Vinaigrette of your choice, like our Mason Jar Vinaigrette
Gently hand tear lettuce into small pieces. Set aside. Scrub beet and carrot. Grate with a vegetable peeler or box grater.
In a rectangular pan or serving platter, cover pan with green lettuce. On the left size of the pan, place small squares of carrots (like if it where the flag stick, or the Monarch Butterflies that soon will travel to Mexico). Then, imagine equally dividing the pan in three parts: Place the fine-chopped cilantro into the first third, the chunks of cheese into the second third and the currants and grated beet into the last third. Drizzle vinaigrette over the salad.
Last detail: place in the middle of the pan, on top of the cheese add the brown lettuce leaves and a couple of currants (like if the brown was the eagle in the middle of the Mexican Flag).