By MCFM Vendors
- 4 oz. fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced from Northwood Mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef and/or bison from Braucher’s Sunshine Harvest Farm
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup blue cheese like Big Woods Blue from Shepherd’s Way Farm
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup onion
- 1/4 tsp fish sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 4 burger buns from Baker’s Field
- 2 to 4 oz. salad mix or microgreens
Remove stems from mushrooms and save for soup stock in the freezer. Slice mushroom caps. Heat skillet or pan and add 2 Tbsp butter or olive oil, then add mushrooms when fat is hot. Saute until soft and slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Set aside and cover.
Prepare grille for burgers and buns. Blend cold ground meat with chopped onion, crumbled cheese, fish sauce, and salt and pepper; then form into thick patties and place on hot grill. Flip patty once and grille on remaining side until done. You can also sear on cast iron skillet at medium-high heat. Remove burgers to platter and cover until ready to serve. While burgers are cooking, brush bun faces with butter or oil and grill or sear briefly, then set aside.
Place burgers on grilled buns, then top with sautéed mushrooms and salad mix or shoots. Serve open face or top with remaining bun. Enjoy!