Arugula Walnut Pesto
By Heather Meyer
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 cups arugula (about 2 pounds), large stems discarded
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 4 ounces Manchego cheese from Shepherd’s Way Farm, grated
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 350°. Put the walnuts in a pie plate and toast for about 8 minutes, or until golden and fragrant. Let cool completely.
In a food processor, pulse the arugula leaves with the toasted walnuts and smashed garlic cloves until finely chopped. Add the cheese, lemon zest and juice and pulse until combined. With the machine on, add the olive oil in a steady stream and process to a smooth paste. Season the pesto with salt and pepper, transfer to a bowl and serve.
Serve this with Poached Wild Salmon, grilled chicken, roasted vegetables or tossed with pasta.
Pesto will last in fridge up to 2 days. Cover with plastic wrap directly on pesto, and then cover tightly with a lid.