Thank you to all who joined us at our annual fundraiser. The event was a great success, thanks to you! We raised nearly 1/4 of our annual budget allowing us to fund our year-round educational programming. Your participation supports everything we do to create a vibrant, educational farmers market for our vendors and our community. To learn more about our initiatives see our 2016 Report to the Community. We are particularly proud of these accomplishments:
- Provided economic opportunities to over 100 local farms and food artisans; creating hundreds of jobs, serving as an incubator for emerging businesses, & leader in the local food economy.
- Increased EBT/food stamp transactions by 20% providing over $5,000 of local produce to SNAP eligible customers so far this season.
- Donated over 250 pounds of produce weekly via our Greens for Good program to low-income families in the Cedar-Riverside neighborhood.
- Inspired over 100 kids per week with our Power of Produce tasting program & empowered them to make their own healthy choices with a $2 token.
- Promoted the work of more than 30 local non-profits in our free, weekly community booth.
We are pleased to announce in addition to raising funds for our educational programming, we raised over $16,000 for our Farmer Grant Fund at this event. This fund has awarded over $50,000 to farmers in 31 grants to farms since inception in 2014. The grants support farmers in the research, testing and implementation of sustainable farming practices and in times of hardship.
We were honored to have Kevin Kling, noted playwright, storyteller and popular commentator on NPR All Things Considered and Simone Perrin, vocalist, accordionista, actress and composer perform an exclusive performance honoring the National Park Service 100th Anniversary. It was beautiful, funny and memorable, thank you Kevin & Simon.
Our market chefs, Jenny Breen, Nettie Colon, and Beth Jones put together a beautiful harvest menu of delicious small plates featuring the freshest ingredients from the market. Thanks to generous donations from our vendors and to the chefs for the beautiful meal. Here are a few recipes from the evening:
If you were unable to join us, please consider donating online – HERE
or mailing a check to our office at: Mill City Farmers Market, 704 S 2nd Street, Minneapolis, MN 55401.
Thank you for your ongoing support of the Mill City Farmers Market.
For questions about this event, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-341-7580.
THANK YOU to the 2016 Benefit Committee:
Susie Greenberg, Marissa Onheiber, Leslie Pilgrim, Lisa Romanowski,
Sarah Riley, Nel Rukavina,
Mary Racciatti, Susie Goldstein, Nancy Solhaug