Recipe and photo from Food & Wine. Makes 3 cups.
- 6 medium beets (1 1/2 pounds), scrubbed and ends trimmed
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small red chile, seeded and minced
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup from Horner’s Corner
- 1 Tablespoon za’atar
- 1/4 cup roasted skinned hazelnuts or walnuts, chopped (optional topping)
- 2 Tablespoons goat cheese from Singing Hills, crumbled (optional topping)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (optional topping)
- Warm bread or crackers, for serving
Preheat the oven to 350. Put the beets in a small roasting pan and add 1/4 cup of water. Cover with foil and bake for about 1 hour, until tender. Let cool slightly.
Peel the beets, cut into wedges and transfer to a food processor. Add the garlic, chile and yogurt and pulse until blended. Add the olive oil, maple syrup and za’atar and puree. Season with salt. Scrape into a wide, shallow bowl. Scatter the hazelnuts, goat cheese and scallions on top and serve with bread or crackers.
Click here to get more creative, seasonal recipes for your next party!