By Beth Dooley
Smoked trout, crisp apples and horseradish-nipped cream make a pretty appetizer or light full meal salad.
- 2 small smoked trout or 1 smoked whitefish
- 1 head fennel
- 1 tart, crisp apple, cored and diced
- 2 cups mixed dark greens
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons hazelnut or vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Remove the skin from the trout and pick the flesh off the bones. Toss together the fennel and apple and arrange this and the trout on a bed of lettuce.
In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle over the composed salad. Pass any additional dressing on the side.