By: Mary Jane Miller
Doll up this basic mix handful of easy dinners and great appetizers.
Ground Meat Mix:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, minced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup soft breadcrumbs
1/2 cup milk or cream
1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 lb. lean ground pork
1 tsp. salt
freshly ground pepper
1 recipe ground meat mix (above)
2 Tbsp. ketchup
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and Sauté until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes; cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, milk and egg. Scramble with a fork until very soft and soupy making sure the bread has completely lost it’s structure. Add cooled onion mixture and remaining ingredients
- Mix ingredients together and shape into 4 patties.
- Heat grill to medium high. Drizzle or brush with olive oil and place on grill. Cook about 7 minutes or until marked. Turn and continue grilling for 5 minutes or until cooked through. Glaze burger with ketchup.
- Serve on toasted buns with your favorite burger toppings.Tips: You can also bake these on a rimmed sheet at 450 degrees F. for 14 minutes, flipping once.
To make a more traditional meatloaf, double or triple the above recipe. Shape into a loaf and bake on a rimmed baking sheet at 350 degrees F. for about an hour or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F. Spread with ketchup and return to the oven for a minute to glaze.