By Chef Nick Schneider
When you have fresh local or even back yard eggs available its nice to use them in a
recipe that allows their “egg-ness” to shine through. Eggs from small farms and
backyard productions often have a richer deeper colored yolk and thicker whites.
This is a quick dessert involving eggs that needs no baking. The low level heat and sugar
gently cooks the egg mixture. One can add fresh berries or fruit to this, or accompany
with lady fingers or coffee and biscotti.
2 large eggs
4 large egg yolks
.5 cup honey
finely grated zest and juice of 2 medium lemons (about ¼ cup)
1/3 cup sweet dessert wine, like Muscat or Sauternes.
1. Combine all the ingredients in a double boiler and set aside
2. Fill lower unit with water and bring to simmer.
3. Off the heat begin to whisk the mixture in top unit light (paler in color) and thick.
Transfer double boiler top over simmering pot now. Continue to whisk vigorously
until the mixture is tripled in volume. It should be even thicker and lighter in
color. This should take about 6-8 minutes.
4. Remove pot from heat and whisk a little more to cool it down slightly.
5. Serve immediately or within two hours, covering with plastic wrap.