Mill City Farmers Market
inspires and nurtures a healthy community
by building a local, sustainable, and organic food economy
in a vibrant, educational marketplace.
Our vision is to be
a nationally recognized marketplace model
that connects, educates and empowers a community
to support a healthy, sustainable food system
to contribute to the success of local food growers and producers.
Inclusion. We support access to healthy food for all residents of our community.
Stewardship. We nourish the health and integrity of land, animals and people.
Learning. We provide experiential opportunities that educate people about the quality, sourcing and true value of food.
Leadership. We strive to be a leading voice, innovator and public force for a healthy planet.
Partnership. We believe authentic, collaborative relationships are essential to achieving our vision.
Community. We promote a thriving and inclusive gathering place that celebrates our agricultural heritage in a national, historic landmark.
Report to the Community 2013-14
Check out our 2013 accomplishments and 2o14 goals here.
For Growers & Vendors
As part of the application process, vendors are required to submit a description of their Production Philosophy and Practices, as well as sign the MCFM Sustainability Statement (below). Preference is given to growers and vendors who use sustainable practices in producing and manufacturing their goods. Organic certification is not required, though respected and encouraged.
MCFM supports local food; food that is fresh, healthy, seasonal and that builds and strengthens local economies. In selecting vendors, MCFM gives priority to regional farmers and producers who bring product to market that is 100% grown and harvested on land that they own and or operate. Occasional non-local exceptions, reviewed on a case by case basis, are made for producer direct products that complement MCFM’s mission.
MCFM vendors are selected based on their fit with our mission and commitment to environmentally, economically and socially sustainable practices. MCFM supports growers and vendors committed to sustainable practices and land stewardship including USDA certified organic growers.
Each vendor at Mill City is committed to a holistic approach to sustainability that includes:
- Building and maintaining healthy soils by applying farming practices that include rotating crops annually, using compost, cover crops, green manures and reducing tillage
- Serving the health of soil, people and nature by limiting or rejecting the use of synthetic pesticides and fertilizers
- Rejecting the use of GMOs and genetically modified seeds, and genetically modified livestock feed
- Treating livestock humanely by providing pasture for ruminants, access to outdoors and fresh air for all livestock, banning cruel alterations, and using no hormones, GMOs or antibiotics in feed
- Conserving natural resources by reducing erosion and pollution of air, soil and water through responsible farming practices
- Practicing minimal processing and responsible post harvest handling for all food products to preserve the natural nutritional value of food
- Operating w/in a framework of sound business planning
- Supporting agricultural markets and infrastructures that enable small farms to thrive
- Producing prepared/processed foods using raw ingredients that are locally grown and sourced from within the market or from other purveyors practicing sustainable farming, whenever possible.
- Producing non-edible products using local and sustainable sourcing as appropriate for the product.
- Providing clear, written information about production methods and product ingredients to any customer who requests it.
MCFM strives for organizationally sustainable practices including maintaining financial stability and the integrity and diversity of our vendor/product selection.
We examine our waste management practices to reduce our environmental impact. Furthermore, we work in the community to strengthen agricultural infrastructures that enable small farms to thrive, and work to develop ways to make local healthy food available to more of our community.
MCFM and our vendors are committed to educating our customers about sustainable, local agriculture and encouraging and empowering them to participate actively in their food choices.